By Brian Clark Last Updated: June 21, 2022
Let’s take a look at the 20 of the hardest songs to sing. Many of these songs require a wide vocal range and incredible control of your voice. Therefore, they are certainly not for beginners! If you’re a seasoned singer, however, these songs will challenge you.
- 1. “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen
- 2. “Chandelier” by Sia
- 3. “Listen” by Beyoncé
- 4. “Hurt” by Christina Aguilera
- 5. “Titanium” by David Guetta feat. Sia
- 6. “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele
- 7. “Loving You” by Minnie Riperton
- 8. “All By Myself” by Celine Dion
- 9. “Perdere L’amore” by Lara Fabian
- 10. “Dream On” by Aerosmith
- 11. “Love on Top” by Beyoncé
- 12. “Alive” by Sia
- 13. “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin
- 14. “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” by Jennifer Holiday
- 15. “Faithfully” by Journey
- 16. “My Way” by Frank Sinatra
- 17. “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” by Aerosmith
- 18. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- 19. “To Be Loved” by Adele
- 20. “Forever” by Mariah Carey
- Final Thoughts
1. “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen
Starting this list is a real classic. “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen is a song that has been around for decades, and it’s still as popular as ever. This song has a lot of iconic moments, including the operatic section in the middle. This is not a beginner’s song but if you’re up for the challenge, it’s a lot of fun to sing.
2. “Chandelier” by Sia
Another throat-buster on this list is “Chandelier” by Sia. This song has a lot of high notes that will test your vocal range. The good news is, that the verses are mostly in a lower register so you can catch your breath before hitting those big notes in the chorus. “Chandelier” remains a true test for vocalists everywhere.
3. “Listen” by Beyoncé
Now, this is a song that requires some serious vocal chops. “Listen” by Beyoncé is from the movie ‘Dreamgirls’ and it is sung by the character Deena Jones, who is played by Beyoncé. The song starts in a lower register but quickly goes up to very high notes. The true test would be to successfully build up the notes throughout the song as it features a rise from start to finish.
4. “Hurt” by Christina Aguilera
This song is notoriously difficult to sing because of its wide range and complicated vocal runs. Aguilera hits some extremely high notes in the song, which can be challenging for even the most experienced singers. It was released in 2006 for her album “Back to Basics”.
5. “Titanium” by David Guetta feat. Sia
When it comes to high notes, “Titanium” by David Guetta feat. Sia is definitely up there. This song has a lot of big notes that will test your vocal range and control. The verses are a blessing compared to the pre-chorus and chorus. The notes take off and any vocalist will have a hard time with this one. This became a hit when it was featured in the movie Pitch Perfect.
6. “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele
Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” is a song that starts slow but quickly builds to a crescendo. It is one of Adele’s biggest hits with over 2 billion streams on Youtube. This is just one of the many popular songs on her album 21. You can listen to it on all music platforms.
7. “Loving You” by Minnie Riperton
Minnie Riperton’s “Loving you” is often cited as one of the most difficult songs to sing. The song is in a higher register and has lyrics that are difficult to enunciate. If you can whistle like Riperton, you can probably sing this song, however, not a lot of singers can belt out whistle tones.
8. “All By Myself” by Celine Dion
The next song is “All By Myself” by Celine Dion. The song is about heartbreak and loneliness, and the lyrics are very emotive. The vocal range is also quite challenging, hitting some high notes that most people can’t sing. This is one of her most iconic songs that is still popular today. Celine Dion is a staple for female vocalists and irreplaceable, to say the least.
9. “Perdere L’amore” by Lara Fabian
Another extremely challenging song, this one is sung in Italian. The lyrics are very emotional, and the vocal runs are long and complicated. Fabian is a Belgian/Canadian singer who is known for her powerful vocal abilities. This song was released in 1997 on her album “Pure”.
10. “Dream On” by Aerosmith
Aerosmith’s “Dream On” is a challenging song to sing because of the high notes and Steven Tyler’s iconic scream. The song is about following your dreams and never giving up. This is one of Aerosmith’s most popular songs and it was released in 1973 for their self-titled album.
11. “Love on Top” by Beyoncé
This next song is famous for its high notes that are difficult to reach for most. “Love on Top” is a fun, upbeat song, but it’s not easy to sing! The rapid runs and powerful vocal belting make this one of the hardest. If you want to practice your vocal runs, you can test your limits with this tune.
12. “Alive” by Sia
“Alive” is a song by Australian singer-songwriter Sia, taken from her seventh studio album “This Is Acting” (2015). It is an uptempo electronica and dance-pop song with synth instrumentation. If you’re up for a challenge, try hitting those high notes! You can listen to it on all music platforms out there.
13. “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin
Here’s a song every woman can relate to. “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” is all about feeling comfortable in your own skin. The vocal range is huge, and the ad-libs at the end are challenging. This soulful track was released in 1967 for the album “Lady Soul”.
14. “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” by Jennifer Holiday
“And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” is a Broadway classic from the musical Dreamgirls. The song is all about determination and strength, and Jennifer Holiday hits some powerful notes. This is a staple for singing contests, and it’s not easy to pull off!
15. “Faithfully” by Journey
Here’s another power ballad that is perfect for karaoke. “Faithfully” by Journey was released in 1983 and peaked at number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The vocal range is huge, and you have to be able to hold those notes! You can stream it on all major music platforms out there.
16. “My Way” by Frank Sinatra
Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” is a classic that has been covered by many artists in various languages. The original was released in 1969, and the song is all about living life on your own terms. This has also been used in singing contests which only proves that it is sung to impress. The low notes are particularly hard to grasp and hold, while the crescendo at the end is exceptional.
17. “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” by Aerosmith
Who wouldn’t want to sing an Aerosmith song on karaoke night? This next one is one of their most popular songs, and it’s perfect for a duet! “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” is all about being in love and not wanting to miss a moment. The vocal range is challenging, especially the high notes and the big screams at the end. Steven Tyler is hard to replicate!
18. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
This classic hit remains to be one of the most popular love songs of all time. Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” was released in 1992 and has been covered by many artists. The original is from the movie ‘The Bodyguard’, and it is a difficult song to sing. Not everybody can hit those high notes.
19. “To Be Loved” by Adele
“To Be Loved” is a song by English singer Adele. It was released in 2021 for her recent album, “30”. The lyrics are simple but emotional, and the melody is beautiful but challenging. This track is perfect for those who want to show off their vocal range because it spans several octaves. The vocal range is impressive, and the high notes will challenge you.
20. “Forever” by Mariah Carey
Finishing the list with a bang! “Forever” by Mariah Carey is notoriously difficult to sing. Carey is known for her impressive vocal range, and “Forever” definitely showcases her talent. If you’re up for a challenge, give this song a try! You can find it on her “Daydream” album which was released in 1996.
These are just some of the hardest songs to sing. There are many more out there that would definitely challenge you. If you’re looking for a good vocal workout, try singing some of these songs.
- 1. “ Back In Black” by AC/DC.
- 2. “ Dancing Queen” by ABBA.
- 3. “ Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen.
- 4. “ Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen.
- 5. “( I Can't Get No) Satisfaction” by The Rolling Stones.
- 6. “ Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin.
- 7. “ Smoke On The Water” by Deep Purple.
- 8. “
Vocal Range: D3 – A5 (2 octaves and a perfect fifth.) Vocal Rating: B. Analysis: Billie has a vocal range of D3 – A5, making her a soprano singer. She mainly shines in the fourth and fifth octaves and has a very unique falsetto.What is the hardest song to sing for a female? ›
- 1. “ Chandelier” by Sia.
- 2. “ If I Ain't Got You” by Alicia Keys.
- 3. “ I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston.
- 4. “ Vision Of Love” by Mariah Carey.
- 5. “ Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson.
- 6. “ Stone Cold” by Demi Lovato.
- 7. “ Alone” by Heart.
- 8. “
- Warm up your body before your voice. Aerobic exercise is a great way to warm up before singing. ...
- Release tension. ...
- Don't “take” a breath when singing. ...
- Don't hold your breath before you sing. ...
- Open your mouth. ...
- Remain relaxed. ...
- Speak on pitch. ...
- Care deeply about what you're singing.
- 1. “ Rolling In The Deep” by Adele.
- 2. “ Titanium” by David Guetta feat. Sia.
- 3. “ I'll Never Love Again” by Lady Gaga.
- 4. “ Run” by Leona Lewis.
- 5. “ Chandelier” by SIA.
- 6. “ Somebody to Love” by Queen.
- 7. “ If I Ain't Got You” by Alicia Keys.
- 8. “ Emotions” by Mariah Carey.
- 1 of 31. Barbra Streisand. Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for BSB. ...
- 2 of 31. Etta James. Charles Paul Harris/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images. ...
- 3 of 31. Aretha Franklin. ...
- 4 of 31. Whitney Houston. ...
- 5 of 31. Mariah Carey. ...
- 6 of 31. Elton John. ...
- 7 of 31. Freddie Mercury. ...
- 8 of 31. Adele.
Some are crowd favorites, like “Don't Stop Believin'” by Journey, “I Love Rock 'n Roll” by Joan Jett, “Hey Jude” by The Beatles, “Like a Virgin” by Madonna, “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls, “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash, or “Wonderwall” by Oasis.Can I start singing at 12? ›
It's never too late to start singing! In fact, the human voice continues to mature throughout life, so students of any age can benefit from singing lessons. Plus, singing can be an effective way to keep your mind and body sharp.What songs make you sound like a good singer? ›
- #1 Imagine by John Lennon.
- #2 Run by Snow Patrol.
- #3 Fields of Gold by Sting.
- #4 Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
- #5 Mamma Mia by Abba.
- #6 One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston.
- #7 You and I by Ingrid Michaelson.
Your singing voice is an actual instrument, and it can be considered the hardest instrument to master because of how intricate and individual each voice is. Unlike an acoustic guitar that can be tuned and then played, the voice has many elements that need to be aligned to create beautiful music.
Rihanna's voice spans nearly 3 octaves. Her range can go as low as C3 to An Eb6 in a heavy belt and as high as a B5 in her head voice.Who sang the longest note ever? ›
For the record, Kenny G held his note for 45 minutes and 47 seconds, but Femi Kuti took it all the way to 46 minutes and 38 seconds. MARTIN: So congratulations to Kuti, right? Nope. Turns out Kenny G's world record was broken 17 years ago.What voice type is Beyonce? ›
Beyoncé is basically an operatic mezzo-soprano in disguise – and she proved it in this impressive clip.What is the lowest a girl can sing? ›
Soprano: the highest female voice, being able to sing C4 (middle C) to C6 (high C), and possibly higher. Mezzo-soprano: a female voice between A3 (A below middle C) and A5 (2nd A above middle C). Contralto: the lowest female voice, F3 (F below middle C) to E5 (2nd E above Middle C).What is the lowest note to sing? ›
- What is the difference between a sharp and a flat note?
- What is a clef?
- Modes in music: what they are and how they are used.
- “Firework'”– Katy Perry. What is this? ...
- “Love Yourself” – Justin Bieber. ...
- “Love Song” – Sara Bareilles. ...
- “Blank Space” – Taylor Swift. ...
- “Thinking Out Loud” – Ed Sheeran. ...
- “All Of Me” – John Legend. ...
- “Someone Like You” – Adele. ...
- “I Will Always Love You” – Whitney Houston.
If you're wondering what to drink to sing better, the answer is simple: water. Water is one of the best drinks for your singing voice, with herbal teas (but not too hot) in second place. Drink water throughout the day, and keep a water bottle nearby during lessons and rehearsals.What are the 7 steps to sing better? ›
- Sing with the “tall” posture.
- Learn good breath support by singing from the diaphragm.
- Train your ear using Solfege.
- Warm up your voice with vocal exercises.
- Sing with good vocal tone.
- Sing in your different vocal registers (chest, head, mix).
- Sing with the right vocal techniques.
Tim Storms (born August 28, 1972) is an American singer and composer. He holds the Guinness World Record for both the "lowest note produced by a human" and the "widest vocal range".What is the highest key in singing? ›
Consequently, singing voices for women are usually a little higher than for men, with the highest female voice (soprano) reaching C6 and the lowest one (contralto) going down to E3, while the highest male voice (countertenor, typically in falsetto) may hit E5, and the lowest one (bass) can drop down to E2.
Maria Callas. Maria Callas was a singer whose vocal range spanned three octaves. As a dramatic soprano, her perfect high notes served her well.Who is the best girl singer in the world? ›
- 8: Dionne Warwick. ...
- 7: Adele. ...
- 6: Madonna. ...
- 5: Billie Holiday. ...
- 4: Kate Bush. ...
- 3: Ella Fitzgerald. ...
- 2: Amy Winehouse. ...
- 1: Aretha Franklin. Topping our list of the best female singers of all time, Aretha Franklin also stands as the most-charting female singer in history.
Justin Bieber takes the top spot, with millions of followers across socials and billions of plays on streaming services. The most popular female artist currently goes to Taylor Swift, while BTS are unsurprisingly the most popular band. Any surprises here amongst the most popular artists in 2022?How do I find my singing voice? ›
- Eat the right foods. Consume foods and liquids one to two hours before you plan to warm up your vocal cords. ...
- Do a vocal warm-up. ...
- Determine your chest voice. ...
- Find your head voice. ...
- Work on your mixed voice. ...
- Try a vocal range test. ...
- Work with a vocal coach. ...
- Choose songs within your range.
Billie Eilish usually uses a lot of breathy vocal tones, this means that she uses her chest a lot to project. The voice is also clear, and not nasal, which some “head singers” can struggle with. The depth of Billie's voice also makes her sound older than she is.At what age is singing voice best? ›
Between the ages of 18 and 21, your voice stabilizes because the vocal folds and larynx have reached their full growth.What age can kids sing? ›
By ages 5 and 6 most children will start to sing in the traditional sense, when they'll be able to carry a tune consistently and sing with steady rhythm; some children will develop these abilities as early as ages 3 to 4 (Moog 1976) (Sloboda 1976).Does singing age your voice? ›
"Consequently you have to use more air pressure from the lungs to drive the vocal cords into vibration. This occurs from decades of voice use so that the vocal cords become worn out as an individual ages." Many singers develop growths or nodules on their vocal cords that can bleed and eventually scar.How can I impress my singing? ›
- 5 Vocal Performance Tips for Singers to Impress and Inspire Your Audience.
- Tune in to Your Feelings to Create an Emotional Delivery. ...
- Monologue the Lyrics. ...
- Put the Emphasis on the Downbeats. ...
- Keep Your Chest Up and Chin Down. ...
- Feel the Groove – Rhythm is the Key to More Emotion + Soul.
- One Call Away by Charlie Puth.
- Nothing Breaks Like a Heart by Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson.
- Stay With Me by Sam Smith.
- Shake It Off by Taylor Swift.
- A Thousand Years by Christina Perri.
- Hometown Glory by Adele.
- Beautiful by Christina Aguilera.
Singing takes both talent and skill.
A person is said to be talented when they can use physical intelligence to imitate something they see or hear others do. For instance, you hear someone else sing. Your mind and body and soul process it. And then you use your mouth and your body to repeat it back.
Having a good voice means having a good voice throughout a song, not just now and then. It means having consistent volume, tone, pitching, support, and style at all times, and it will also help to know what singing conditions are most conducive to consistent singing.Are singers born or made? ›
It's important to consider all these factors as this can make the performance that little bit more exciting for the audience! So there you have it – the theory of being “born with it” has been debunked! Amazing singers aren't necessarily born but can be created over time with hours of dedication and practice.What is Justin Bieber highest note? ›
Justin Bieber's highest note is an F5 in the remix of “Foreign.” How many octaves can Justin Bieber sing? Justin Bieber can sing approximately two octaves and a minor sixth, spanning A2 – C#5 – F5.What was Ariana Grande's highest note? ›
Ariana's highest note is an E7, the second E above Soprano C, or the E above “dolphin” C. She whistles this note in her cover of Mariah Carey's “Emotions.”What is Beyonce's lowest note? ›
How Low Can Beyonce Sing? Beyonce has a surprisingly low and full voice for a soprano. She often showcases her lowest notes on verses and harmony notes sung in the background for her songs. One of her lowest notes, B2, can be found in the "Feeling Myself" track at the timestamp highlighted in the video below.What is the world record for holding your breath? ›
The longest time breath held voluntarily (male) is 24 min 37.36 sec, achieved by Budimir Šobat (Croatia), in Sisak, Croatia, on 27 March 2021.What female singer holds the longest note? ›
As for the ladies, the nod goes to Donna Summer. Her 1979 "Dim All the Lights," which peaked at No. 2 nationally, includes a note held for 16 seconds.Who sang more songs in world? ›
1. Most recorded artist in music history - Asha Bhosle.
A countertenor is a male singer who can sing as high as a soprano or mezzo-soprano. The countertenor is the rarest of all voice types.Which voice type is Ariana Grande? ›
Ariana is famous for her four-octave soprano and whistle tone vocal range.What voice type is Lady Gaga? ›
Lady Gaga is a great example of a mezzo-soprano. Her timbre is feminine, but slightly darker and more sensitive and mature than a typical lyric soprano. Despite her good technique, Gaga rarely enters the upper 5th octave.Is the easiest song to sing? ›
Some are crowd favorites, like “Don't Stop Believin'” by Journey, “I Love Rock 'n Roll” by Joan Jett, “Hey Jude” by The Beatles, “Like a Virgin” by Madonna, “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls, “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash, or “Wonderwall” by Oasis.What is the hardest song to play on any instrument? ›
- Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji - Opus clavicembalisticum. ...
- Alexander Scriabin - Mysterium. ...
- Franz Liszt - La Campanella. ...
- Giovanni Bottesini - Double Bass Concerto No. ...
- J.S. Bach - Chaconne in D. ...
- Luciano Berio - Sequenzas. ...
- Conlon Nancarrow - Studies for Player Piano.
To clear your voice, drinking water for the 2 hours before you sing can help hydrate and lubricate your vocal cords. The lubrication from the water will help prevent irritation so that your voice is performance ready. Drink only room temperature water before you sing.How can I hear my singing voice? ›
The actor then gives his solution: To hear your “real” voice, you can place your hands on the sides of your head — between your jawbone and your ears. “That is what you sound like to other people,” he concludes.Who is the No 1 singer in the world? ›
|1||Michael Jackson||Pop, Soul, Funk, R&B, Rock, Disco, & Dance|
|2||Stevie Wonder||Soul, Pop, R&B, Funk, & Jazz|
|3||Marvin Gaye||Soul, R&B, Funk, Pop, & Jazz|
|4||Freddie Mercury||Hard Rock, Music Hall, Glitter, & Prog Rock|
According to Guinness World Records the lowest note ever sung is the F sharp three semi-tones above the note in Mealor's De Profundis. The record was set by George Menees in 2010 (see video).What type is my voice? ›
Finding your vocal range means determining which notes you can actually hit without struggling or straining your voice. There are six main range types, three for women and three for men. From high to low, these are soprano, mezzo-soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone, and bass.
- Violin. The violin is a wooden stringed instrument that's part of a larger family of similar instruments. ...
- The French Horn. ...
- The Organ. ...
- Bagpipes. ...
- Accordion. ...
- Oboe. ...
- Harp. ...
'La Campanella', which translates as 'little bell', comes from a larger work – the Grandes études de Paganini – and is famous for being one of the most difficult pieces ever written for piano.